Teaching Schedule and Seminars
To begin the rotation you will be meeting in room A450, on the morning (first Monday of the block) at 8:00AM:
- Dr. Aaron Izenberg/designate 08:00-08:15AM
- Stroke Attending 08:15AM-09:00AM
Our colleagues from Pharmacy and Clinical Nurse Specialists in Stroke (CNS) will also be presenting an in-service update on key topics such as Medication Reconciliation and daily work-flow and follow-up care of stroke patients.
During your rotation, the senior neurology residents leads the team and are a great resource. If you have questions please don't hesitate to ask them or your fellow or staff questions!
- AM (11:00-12:00) A450 - Neurology Sub-specialty Lecture Series (check with your staff/Sr resident for confirmation)
- AM (12:00-13:00) Stroke Imaging Rounds - joint rounds with Neurology/Neuroradiology - Gelato Room (Ground floor, between A-wing and the Cancer Centre)
- Tuesday AM (11:30-12:30) A450 - Stroke Teaching Rounds (check with your staff/Sr resident for confirmation)
- Wednesday AM (11:00-12:00) C4 - General Neurology/Stroke Neurology On-ward/bedside teaching (led by attending staff
- or Sr resident)
- Thursday AM (11:30-12:30) A450 - Neurology Case Presentation/Phenomenology Rounds
- Thursday PM (16:30-17:30) SG22 - Brain Sciences Rounds
NIHSS and Stroke Guidelines
- Please see below for a series of PDFs organized by topic.
- Learn How to do the NIH Stroke Scale:
- Please review the NIH stroke scale website as a basic walk-through before your first day. You will definitely encounter some strokes during your rotation, so this is a great preparatory resource: http://nihss-english.trainingcampus.net/uas/modules/trees/windex.aspx You can create a free login and password, and follow the videos to see how to do it step-by-step. The Canadian Best Practice Recommendations for Stroke Care is also a good resource: http://www.strokebestpractices.ca
Our colleagues in Calgary have put together an awesome reference for ASPECT Score in Acute Stroke:
- Please checkout this Resource and get certified!
To access these PDFs and slides, please request access by sending an email to: firstname.lastname@example.org
Please note that you must be part of our institution as a trainee, fellow, or staff to gain access.
Hospital-specific Protocols - please follow this LINK*
- The above link provides hospital-specific protocols including, Code Stroke, TPA orders, Admission orders (which should not be used in paper format - use the electronic version), and supporting guidelines. Also, there are hospital-specific guidelines for management of anti-coagulation, reversal of blood thinners and TPA, and other useful information.
- * Please note that you will need your network Login and Password to access this information.